Continuing on the topic of how to improve yourself and land that dream job, it’s important to note that one of the key factors in standing out from other job applicants is effectively advertising yourself. A great way to do this is by creating a personal website where you can showcase your skills, experiences, and achievements in a unique and engaging way.
In the tech field, and specifically in cyber security, having a personal website can be especially beneficial. It gives potential employers a way to see your expertise and knowledge in the field, and can also demonstrate your ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience. It’s also a great way to show off your personal brand and make yourself more memorable to hiring managers.
Creating a website can be an effective way to put yourself out there, differentiate yourself from other applicants, and increase your chances of landing your dream job. It’s also a great way to demonstrate your skills and knowledge in the field, and to show that you are a proactive and forward-thinking professional.
Creating a Site
Website builders and Content Management Systems (CMS) like WordPress are popular choices for people who want to create a website without having to write code. They provide pre-built templates and drag-and-drop interfaces that make it easy to design and manage a website.
In short, creating a website doesn’t have to be a daunting task; with the right tools and resources, you can have your website up and running in no time.
The process of setting up a website can vary depending on the method you choose. Here is a general overview of the steps involved in setting up a website:
Unleash the Domain
When setting up a website, one of the first steps is to choose a domain provider to purchase your URL name. There are many options to choose from, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Some popular domain providers include GoDaddy, Namecheap, Network Solutions, and Google Domains.
Google Domains is a popular choice among many users as it offers static pricing that does not change over time, as well as a variety of security features to protect your domain. Additionally, it has an easy to use interface and integration with other Google services such as Gsuite.
When choosing a domain provider, it’s important to consider factors such as pricing, security features, customer support, and interface. It’s also recommended to compare different providers and read reviews before making a final decision. Ultimately, the best domain provider for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
- GoDaddy: One of the largest and most well-known domain providers, GoDaddy offers a wide variety of domain extensions and also offer a website builder and hosting services.
- Namecheap: A popular domain provider that offers low prices, good customer service, and a variety of domain extensions.
- Network Solutions: A well-established domain provider that offers a wide range of domain services, including domain registration, hosting, and website building.
- 1&1 IONOS: Another large domain provider that offers a variety of domain extensions, website building, and hosting services.
- HostGator: A web hosting provider that also offers domain registration and management services.
- Bluehost: A web hosting provider that also offers domain registration and management services
- DreamHost: A web hosting provider that also offers domain registration and management services
- Name.com: A domain provider that offers low prices, good customer service, and a variety of domain extensions.
- Google Domains: A domain registration service provided by Google that offers simple and straightforward domain registration process.
- Gandi: A domain provider that focuses on simplicity, transparency, and customer service.
After you have selected a domain provider, the next step is to choose a hosting provider to host your website. There are many options to choose from, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting. For basic websites that don’t require complex solutions, you can take advantage of free hosting options such as GitHub Pages or Cloudflare Pages.
GitHub Pages is a service offered by GitHub that allows you to create and host static websites directly from a GitHub repository. It’s a great option if you already use GitHub and don’t need any complex features.
Cloudflare Pages is a service offered by Cloudflare that allows you to build and host web projects with a simple Git workflow. It’s designed to be easy to use and similar to GitHub Pages.
Alternatively, if you need more complex features or a higher level of control over your website, you can consider paid hosting providers like Bluehost, HostGator, DreamHost, SiteGround, and A2 Hosting. These providers offer a variety of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting, as well as managed hosting services.
When choosing a hosting provider, it’s important to consider factors such as price, uptime, customer support, and security. Additionally, you may want to consider the location of the hosting provider and whether they offer the specific features you need for your website.
- Bluehost: A well-known hosting provider that offers a variety of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- HostGator: A popular hosting provider that offers a wide range of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- DreamHost: A web hosting provider that offers shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting, as well as cloud hosting and managed hosting services.
- SiteGround: A web hosting provider that offers a variety of hosting plans, including shared hosting, cloud hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- A2 Hosting: A web hosting provider that offers a variety of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- InMotion Hosting: A web hosting provider that offers a variety of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- GreenGeeks: A web hosting provider that specializes in eco-friendly hosting solutions, offering shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- Hostinger: A web hosting provider that offers a variety of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- TMD Hosting: A web hosting provider that offers a variety of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting.
- WP Engine: A web hosting provider that specializes in managed WordPress hosting.
Get a Press for Those Words
If you’re looking to create a website, WordPress is a great choice. It’s user-friendly, versatile, and offers a wide range of customization options. Plus, with a plethora of tutorials and resources available online, it’s easy to learn how to use it.
Once you’ve registered your domain, you’ll be able to start using WordPress. The first step is to install it on your hosting account. Many hosting providers offer one-click installations of WordPress, making the process easy and hassle-free. If your provider doesn’t offer this option, you can use FTP to upload the WordPress files to your hosting account.
After installation, the next step is to configure your WordPress site. This includes setting up basic information such as the site title, your email address, and the time zone. Once that’s done, you’ll be able to start customizing your site to suit your needs.
One of the great things about WordPress is the wide range of themes available. There are thousands of free and paid themes to choose from, both in the WordPress repository and from other sources. This means you can easily find a theme that fits your brand and aesthetic.
Once you’ve chosen a theme, it’s time to start adding content to your site. WordPress makes it easy to create pages and posts, and you can also use widgets and plugins to add additional functionality. This could include contact forms, social media integration, and more.
Here are some steps you can follow:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard: Go to your website’s URL, followed by /wp-admin (e.g. www.example.com/wp-admin), and enter your login credentials.
- Navigate to the “Posts” section: Once you’re logged in, you’ll be taken to your WordPress dashboard. From there, navigate to the “Posts” section on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on “Add New”: Once you’re in the “Posts” section, click on the “Add New” button to create a new blog post.
- Enter a title for your post: In the top field, you will enter the title of your blog post.
- Write your post: In the main content area, you can write your post using the visual editor. It includes basic formatting options such as bold, italic, and lists. You can also add images and videos by clicking on the corresponding icons.
- Add categories and tags: On the right-hand side of the screen, you will see a section labeled “Categories” and “Tags”. Here, you can select the appropriate categories and tags for your post.
- Add a featured image: In the “Featured Image” section, you can add a featured image to your post. This image will be shown when the post is shared on social media or when it appears on the blog’s home page.
- Preview your post: Before publishing your post, you can preview it to see how it will look.
- Publish your post: Once you’re satisfied with your post, you can click on the “Publish” button to make it live on your website.
- Share your post: After publishing your post, you can share it on social media, or by emailing a link to your friends, family, and followers.
Pages on Pages
GitHub Pages is a service offered by GitHub that allows users to create and host websites directly from a GitHub repository. It is designed to be easy to use and requires no additional hosting or DNS configuration. With GitHub Pages, you can create a website for your project, organization, or personal use, and host it directly from your GitHub repository.
Cloudflare Pages is a service offered by Cloudflare that allows you to build and host web projects with a simple Git workflow. It’s designed to be easy to use and similar to GitHub Pages. With Cloudflare Pages, you can create a website for your project, organization, or personal use and host it on Cloudflare’s global network.
Stacks of Jam: Strawberry, Orange, Grape 🙂
If you’re looking to build a website from scratch and want to take advantage of modern front-end frameworks and libraries, JAMstack is a great choice. JAMstack allows you to use popular front-end frameworks such as React, Vue, or Angular to create interactive and dynamic/static websites without the need for complex server-side logic.
- Performance: Since the majority of the processing is done on the client-side, JAMStack websites tend to be fast and responsive.
- Security: JAMStack websites are typically more secure since they don’t rely on a back-end server and the sensitive information is not exposed.
- Scalability: JAMStack websites can be easily scaled to handle large amounts of traffic.
- Development and Deployment: JAMStack websites are typically easier to develop, test, and deploy, since they don’t rely on a back-end server.
Some popular JAMStack frameworks are Gatsby, Next.js, Gridsome and Nuxt.js.
Overall, JAMStack is a modern web development architecture that focuses on building fast, secure, and scalable websites and web applications, it’s more suitable for static websites, blogs, portfolios and small web applications.
Resume the Resume
When writing a resume, it’s important to keep in mind that it will be reviewed by multiple groups of people, including recruiters, HR professionals, hiring managers, and even AI systems. To be effective, your resume must be tailored to meet the needs of each of these groups and be easy to read, understand and skim.
Recruiters are often the first point of contact with a candidate, and they are responsible for screening resumes and identifying potential candidates for open positions. Your resume should be easy to read and understand, and it should highlight your key qualifications, skills, and experiences in a clear and concise manner.
HR professionals are responsible for managing the recruitment process, and they will be looking for specific qualifications, skills, and experiences that match the requirements of the open position. Your resume should be tailored to the specific job or industry you are applying for and highlight your relevant experiences and qualifications.
Hiring managers are the decision-makers when it comes to filling open positions, and they will be looking for candidates who can demonstrate that they have the skills, qualifications, and experiences to succeed in the role. Your resume should clearly and succinctly highlight your qualifications, skills, and experiences and show how you are a good fit for the open position.
AI systems are becoming increasingly common in the recruitment process, and they are responsible for scanning resumes and identifying key words and phrases that match the requirements of the open position. Your resume should be optimized for these systems by including relevant keywords and phrases, and making sure that your resume is clean and easy to read.
Finally, your resume should be skimmable, meaning that it should be easy for someone to quickly scan through it and pick out the important information in just a few seconds. This can be achieved by using clear, concise language and formatting the resume in a way that makes it easy to read and understand.
If I were to offer a few tips on formatting your resume, I would suggest the following:
- Put the important stuff on top and keep it relevant
- The top of your resume is the most valuable real estate, so make sure to put the most important information there. Include your name, contact information, and a professional summary or objective that highlights your skills and qualifications. Make sure that the information you include is relevant to the job you are applying for.
- Tailor your resume for the job you’re applying for
- As mentioned before, it’s essential to tailor your resume to the specific job you are applying for. Use the job description and requirements to identify the skills and qualifications that are most important for the position, and make sure that your resume highlights these. This will show the employer that you are a good fit for the job and that you have taken the time to research the position.
- Don’t be an idiot
- Avoid making basic mistakes, such as typos, grammatical errors, and formatting issues. This can make it look like you don’t pay attention to detail and can easily lead to your resume getting overlooked.
- Don’t go crazy with your resume
- While it’s important to make your resume stand out, it’s also important to keep it professional. Avoid using flashy or unusual designs or fonts that could be distracting. Additionally, don’t exaggerate or lie about your qualifications or experiences. This can easily be fact-checked and can lead to losing the job opportunity.
Overall, I hope that the tips and information provided in this article will help you create a personal website that effectively showcases your qualifications, skills, and accomplishments. Having a personal website can be a valuable tool in your job search, as it allows you to host your resume and other relevant information, making it easy for potential employers to learn more about you and your qualifications. By following the tips outlined in this article, you can increase your chances of landing your dream job.